Historical Snapshot

Craters on Dublin


It wasn’t supposed to happen. I didn’t want to believe it, and I couldn’t. I couldn’t feel anything, and I felt so numb. I walked past of what used to be decent-sized houses. Now they were just huge graves. They were massive craters dented into Dublin. The bricks of the house came undone; along with the families it once held. They were huge homes that once acted as a shelter for a family. How lucky these families were, to have a ma, children, and a Dad. A Dad.
I wish they'd known how blessed they were to have one. But Dad has to come home, right? Ma can’t possibly support the two of us on her own. She needs Dad. I need Dad. I stopped in my tracks. I heard bells ringing, which signaled the start of school. But I couldn’t move, though I had to go to school or else the money will go to waste. My chest started to tremble, and I felt the sting of tears coming. He had to be safe, right? He’s a strong person, and he’d never leave me or Ma, right? De Valera promised to keep us and this country out of any harm from the war. But just a few days ago before the Germans came, I heard ma and Dad arguing. The walls in the house were thin, and I heard Ma crying and begging him not to go. But he wanted to; he felt like he needed to. Perhaps that night I could’ve stopped him from leaving, and maybe he’d still be here. I collapsed, dropping my school books simultaneously. I covered my face in my hands, as tears began to roll down my face. I don’t think he’s ever going home.

Works Cited

“GCSE History - Éire's Neutrality during World War Two - Revision 1.” BBC News, BBC, www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zsm26sg/revision/1.

“The Night German War Planes Bombed Dublin.” Irish Examiner, 31 May 2016, www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/the-night-german-war-planes-bombed-dublin-402353.html.

Waite, John. “Why Irish Soldiers Who Fought Hitler Hide Their Medals.” BBC News, BBC, 28 Dec. 2011, www.bbc.com/news/uk-16287211.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connections Between Characters and Setting

Imagery and Tone